Brendan Swift - Principal
Brendan Swift is an experienced Melbourne-based lawyer with expertise in all aspects of:
- Large complex commercial litigation
- Corporate disputes, including company freezes, director disputes, shareholders oppression and shareholder disputes
- Corporate governance, directors’ duties and shareholder agreements
- Corporate insolvency
- Corporate rehabilitation, including deeds of company arrangement
- Professional negligence claims (including auditor negligence claims)
Clients have included financial institutions, corporations and individuals, directors, managing directors, shareholder groups, creditors and insolvency practitioners. He has advised banks and financial institutions on security enforcement and on action against parties who have contributed to corporate losses.
He also advises clients on strategies to minimise future exposure to litigious situations. Brendan has a particular interest in preventative legal advice including practical steps to improve document trails which are critical to the conduct of modern litigation.
Brendan has conducted litigation in many commercial jurisdictions, including:
- High Court
- Federal Court
- State Supreme Courts
- Courts of Appeal
- Trial courts and tribunals in NSW, Victoria and Queensland
- Royal Commission, maritime and special Government inquiries
Before his admission as a lawyer, Brendan worked:
- As adviser to two Ministers in the NSW State Government
- For the Consumer Credit Legal Centre; and
- as a consultant to the Motor Traders’ Association
He is available to take instructions from corporate/individual clients, from lawyers who do not have the infrastructure or experience in their own practice to run litigation, and from interstate lawyers. For cases he has been involved in, click here.
Charlee Foster - Office Manager
- Charlee joined Altus in 2015.
- Charlee is responsible for the day-to-day operation and management of the office.
- She has experience in various administrative roles, as well as positions in Marketing
Phillip Kotsanis - Solicitor
Phillip Kotsanis was admitted to practise law in Victoria in 1993. He practises predominantly in commercial litigation and dispute resolution.
He has extensive experience in resolving disputes in all areas of commerce including banking and finance, insolvency, corporations law and professional negligence.
He is regarded by his peers as a commercially focused lawyer who endeavours to work with clients to set expectations in terms of outcomes and legal costs from the outset.
Phillip has worked in corporate practise where he retained external law firms, so he understands well that clients expect to be able to trust their lawyer to work hard but efficiently and in the client’s best interests.
Lyndal Mews - Senior Lawyer
Lyndal Mews was admitted to practise as a lawyer in the Supreme Court of NSW in 2007 and joined Altus in November 2013. She has predominantly practised in the areas of commercial disputes and litigation, and general commercial advice.
Lyndal has the ability to quickly develop a nuanced understanding of clients' particular commercial enterprise or industry requirements, and works towards solutions that meet those particular needs. She also works to build holistic relationships with clients. This assists clients Lyndal is working with to develop meaningful and strategic understanding of their long term needs and aspirations.
Harry Best - Solicitor
Harry joined Altus in 2015 and was admitted to practice in 2016.
Since joining Altus Harry has been involved in a wide range of matters including:
- General commercial disputes
- Bankruptcy and insolvency
- Criminal law
- Professional negligence
Harry works with clients to understand their needs and find a tailored solution that achieves their goals.
Christine Lim - Solicitor
After gaining admission to practice in Victoria, Christine has been involved with a wide spectrum of commercial matters both within and beyond the context of litigation.
Her experience includes:
- Licensing matters.
- Corporate governance.
- Intellectual property.
- Bankruptcy and corporate insolvency and
- Commercial disputes.
Christine is keen to understand both the commercial and legal needs of the client before focusing on giving any tailored advice.
Andrew Theodosi - Administrative Assistant
- Andrew joined Altus in April of 2015.
- Andrew is studying a Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Arts at Monash University.
- At Altus, he is involved in the general organisation and administrative duties of the office, as well as some paralegal tasks.
Madison Davies - Administrative Assistant
- Madison joined Altus in November of 2016.
- Madison is studying a double Bachelor of Laws & Commerce degree at the Australian Catholic University.
- At Altus, she is involved in administrative duties, support to solicitors and paralegal tasks.